Sunday, June 1, 2008

Update on my Recent Activities...

I've been extremely busy the past few weeks, traveling across the country to advocate on behalf of people with disabilities. I am currently in Southern California at the Abilities Expo where I am promoting my platform of "Physical Fitness for People with Disabilities." Some of the highlights of this trip include:

  • - I met a young woman with CP who traveled all the way from Florida to the Expo just to meet me! I was so honored to speak with her, and listen to all the great advocacy work she's doing. She is also interested in the MWA program, and is going to look into competing in the Ms Wheelchair Florida program next year. Her passion is parenting as an individual with a disability...
  • - I am teaching 3 wheelchair aerobics classes at the Expo, called "Sit & Get Fit." These classes are open to people with all levels of mobility, and we've even had some able-bodied folks join in, too!
  • - I presented a workshop today on physical fitness and it was really well-received! The participants asked lots of questions on the topics I spoke about, including nutrition, strength training, aerobics, FES, and working out. Many of them thanked me afterwards for providing guidance and inspiration on proactive fitness. One person even said I was the "most dynamic Ms Wheelchair America ever!"
  • - I've had the chance to see many of the friends I've made over the past year during my Ms Wheelchair America Reign, including: Madonna, Bee, Jessie, Gunnison, Joe & Deanna, Ruthee, Larry, Sarah... and I've made so many new friends, too, including: Tracy, Susan, Janne, Robert, Dianne, Amy, and many others...

Check back soon for pictures!