Saturday, March 15, 2008

Kiwanis Keynote

I had the opportunity to speak to a local Kiwanis group on Thursday at their annual St. Patrick's Day Luncheon. The group I addressed was from Somerville, Massachusetts, and there were also members of other Kiwanis organizations from the area present. The crowd was eager to hear about my outreach work as Ms. Wheelchair America. I told them my mission to promote the accomplishments of women in wheelchairs, and talked about my travels all across the country spreading this message.

The Kiwanis mission is to serve children of the world. I told the audience about my interaction with children through the YMCA, the Special Olympics, and literacy programs. I talked about helping build self-esteem and confidence in youth with disabilities...

I also talked to the group about my trip to Pasedena this past January for the Rose Bowl Parade. While I was there, I got to meet the Kiwanis International President David Curry, and saw the Kiwanis parade float being made behind the scenes. I was invited to attend the Kiwanis chapter meeting with David, and we discussed ways that the Ms. Wheelchair America program could collaborate with the Kiwanis for the Rose Bowl activities next year...

Finally, I talked about my work at SpauldingRehab Hospital in Boston, helping newly-disabled individuals and their families adjust to life in a wheelchair. Many people came up to me after the program to tell me their personal stories of loved ones with disabilities. It was so rewarding to think that I could have an impact on the people I spoke with...

This event was so invigorating, and I really hope to remain actively involved with the Kiwanians.